Monday, February 1, 2010

Jefferson and Washington

There is a great, probably apocryphal, story about Jefferson and Washington discussing politic of the new republic and at some point Jefferson asks Washington why we even need a Senate. Washington noticing that Jefferson poured his steaming hot coffee into a saucer asked Jefferson why he did so and Jefferson answered "to cool it." Washington said that is why we need the Senate to cool the legislation. Whether it is true or not the story does a nice job illustrating why we sometimes become so angry at the ineffectiveness of the upper house. Much of what comes out of the House of Representatives is a knew jerk reaction and the Senate does tend to temper it.

Over the past 2 weeks I've written some inflammatory posts about the Democrats being pussies and ineffective even with majorities and maybe that's a good thing. I really want to see change in the health care and it would be nice if it was boiled down to a few key ideas:

1. get rid of pre-existing conditions clauses
2. allow price negotiations on prescription drug costs
3. make health insurance companies non-profit
4. change the fee for service structure

The last 2 will never happen but they are at the heart of what is wrong with health care in the U.S. Physicians and insurance companies blame each other for the spiraling costs and the physicians are winning. Doctors love to create a scenario that they are fighting for your health care rights against the mighty dragon of insurance. I just had a battle like this and felt all warm and fuzzy about my doc. He wanted me to get a prescription that my plan would not pay for and tried to fight 'em. What I didn't think about were the kick backs my doc was getting from the pharmaceutical company. There was a little noticed settlement in September: Pfizer did not admit guilt to kickback charges, but instead paid $1 billion to settle the civil case. Pfizer just happens to make the drug my doc was fighting my insurance company over. I guess it's unfair to assume that my doc was getting a kickback but the Pharmacist told me there are other, safer, generic versions and thought it was "silly" to push for one drug in particular... I ended up with a generic and it works fine and cost me $10 instead of the $289 I would have had to pay out of pocket.

Well, that's a long way from Washington and Jefferson but it illustrates the point that we have a long way to go and there will be a lot of coffee cooling in saucers.

Please comment with what you would like to see your representatives do with health care.

3 comments:

  1. I think our representatives should replace bunnies and lab mice as the animals that the pharmaceuticals get tested on. "Tested effective on 3 of 5 freshman senators. Placebo effect significant, rate of hairpiece-related side effects within margin of error."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think #3, and to a lesser extent #2, would take care of #1 and #4.

    Switzerland is a great example: high quality universal coverage, provided by *non-profit*, private entities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What if all corporations were non-profits? I wonder what kind of world that'd make. And if only unincorporated small-businesses were allowed to engage in profit-making activities?

    Probably everything would be too cheap and wouldn't be sustainable. I don't know. I'm not an economist. I suppose I'll think about it over a few years........

    ReplyDelete