Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Word Clouds

I was experimenting with Wordle last night. Nate Silver at fivethirtyeight created two word clouds based on Gallup's health care survey. Gallup provided the verbatim responses and Silver snagged those to create his Wordle clouds so I thought I would too. It's very addicting and I soon found that several hours had passed. The top one is the against reform responses and the bottom one is the for reform responses. Each image definitely tells a different story...



I thought I could do another based on Constitution. What evolved shows a document that is heavily weighted for the States. If you have not played with Wordle it creates a graphic illustration of text by giving weight to words that appear most often. Articles and common words are deleted like A, The, An, And... It's a pretty interesting tool to play with and explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment