Monday, February 21, 2011

Who's the Real Debtor?

With all the talk about the national debt and the new Republican controlled house; budgets are getting a lot of attention. Yesterday I saw a bumper sticker claiming Obama was ruining the US and taking our country to the poor house. During my life, there have been four Democratic and five Republican presidents and the national debt has risen from 312 billion to 13.5 trillion, a 330% increase; most of it under Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush.

Below are 2 charts, one from lafn.org and the other from my own research. Both are based on numbers from the Treasury Department. I like the simplicity of my chart. I tried to make it look as non-partisan as possible and let the numbers speak for themselves... One thing is clear, labeling Democrats as the tax and spend party is a myth.




No comments:

Post a Comment