Monday, February 14, 2011

What the?

I'm not a big follower of pop culture, especially in pop music. I didn't like Madonna back in the 80's. I never understood the Brittany thing and I am befuddled by Lady Gaga. I was at a party last night and some of the conversation drifted toward Lady Gaga and her Grammy appearance. This morning I looked up her "Born This Way" single, from the Grammys, on Youtube (it will probably be taken down soon).

Now again, I'm not a pop culture maven but I was struck at how similar Gaga's "Born This Way" is to Madonna's "Express Yourself" (Performed, poorly, at the MTV Music Awards circa 1989).
Maybe it's just me but I think Gaga blatantly ripped off Madonna.



A lot has changed since '89. No amount of auto-tuning could have helped Madonna's voice. MTV still played music back then and Lady Gaga was 3 years old when Madonna was queen of pop. Who could blame Gaga for being influenced by Madonna. I'm sure she was singing into a mirror, with a hair brush, to all of Madonna's songs when she was a wee tot.

No comments:

Post a Comment